Day two of our Dubai trip consisted of a tour of "old" and "new" Dubai. There was one problem though--there's not much "old" left here. Dubai has gotten rid of its old, historic architecture and had a complete makeover. It has become a metropolitan city full of tourists attractions. Emiratis sign the checks, while laborers from Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, and the Phillipines work long hrs in the heat to build enormous structures. Dubai is a place full of the "biggest and best in the world" attractions. At times I feel like I'm in Las Vegas or Manhattan and I forget that I'm in the Middle East. However, I must say, Las Vegas ain't got nothing on Dubai.
All laborers and blue collar workers in this country are foreigners. The fish markets are full if Indians and Pakistanis while the hospitality industry consists of Filipinos.
Filming was a bit difficult, not just because of the language barriers, but because of the censhorship laws here in the UAE. Most people have been afraid to talk to us because of the harsh penalties of speaking out against the Royal family. Photographing a police car is illegal. While visiting the Sheik's palace, we had to make sure not to get any of the security's vehicles and we could not stand passed a line that was (literally) drawn on the Palace ground.
Although Dubai looks like a western, developed country, culture shock definitely kicks in when we see all the restrictions and laws we have to obey. Hopefully we will get a honest interview by the time we leave.
No comments:
Post a Comment